Frequently Asked Questions

Registration and Records
For additional questions, send an email to

Master Class Schedules

For additional questions, send an email to

Applying For Graduation

For more information, send an email to

Degrees and Diplomas

Graduation Ceremony Information
For more information, send an email to


For additional information, send requests to

Veterans Assistance

Top Of Page

Registration and Records

  • Where can I find a list of deadlines for adding, dropping courses, etc?

    The academic calendar containing all important dates and deadlines is posted on the Registrar’s Web page. All deadlines are at 5:00 PM unless otherwise stated.
  • How do I change my major?

    Obtain a “major change” form from Registrar’s Office or your Department. Fill out and obtain required signatures. Return to Registrar’s Office.
  • Where do I get my RAC number?

    Your advisor or someone in the department of your major can look your RAC number up on the web or on the printed Enrollment Form sent to you department by the Registrar’s Office or Office of Admissions and Scholarships. The Registrar’s Office CANNOT give RAC numbers to students.
  • What happens if my RAC has been disabled?

    Call the Registrar’s Office and let them know that the RAC has been disabled. They will set a new RAC number. Please contact your advisor to get the new RAC.
  • What do I do if my “password” has been disabled?

    In order for us to reset your password you must come to the Registrar’s Office or fax a copy of your I.D, MSU ID Number, and a telephone number or e-mail address to 325-5766.
  • Can I add a course after the 5th day of class?

    Normally, students may NOT add a class after the 5th class day. Students may request their College Dean to consider a late add request. The Dean has the right to approve or NOT approve your add request depending on circumstances. First obtain signatures from your advisor, instructor of the course on an “add slip.” Second, submit he add slip to your dean for consideration. If the dean approves, they may send the add slip to the Registrar or permit you to hand carry it to the Registrar.
  • How do I drop an individual course AFTER the drop date?

    Normally, you may NOT drop a course after the drop date. Your dean MAY consider to approve or NOT approve a late drop depending on your circumstances. If your dean approves a late drop, your student account will be charged $50, and you will be charged the tuition for the course.
  • Is there a charge for dropping or adding an individual course late?

    Yes. When your approved add or drop slip is processed, your student account will automatically be charged a $50 late fee.
  • What do I do if I wish to take MORE hours than the computer will allow me to?

    Get an “overload form” from the Registrar’s Office. Request your advisor and Dean’s approval. The Dean and Advisor may or MAY NOT approve your request depending on your situation. If approved/signed return form to Registrar’s Office.
  • What is the difference between dropping a class and a withdrawal?

    A drop is for one course and a withdrawal is withdrawing from ALL of your courses.
  • How do I withdraw from the University?

    Go to your Dean’s office and have them fill out a “Withdrawal Form.” Return to Registrar’s office.
  • What do I do if I haven’t been here in a while and want to return to MSU?

    If an Undergraduate: fill out a Readmission Application either in the Registrar’s Office or online. Readmission Application
    If a Graduate student, contact the Office of Graduate Studies.

Master Class Schedules

  • When will the master schedule of courses be available on the Web?

    The Master Class Schedule is posted on the Web approximately two weeks before faculty advising for pre-registration begins. The spring class schedule is posted in mid-October; summer and fall schedules are posted in mid-March.
  • Where can I view the master class schedule on the Web?

    You may view the schedule at the following link, Master Class Schedule.

Applying For Graduation

  • What do I have to do to apply for graduation?

    You can apply for your degree via the web application. The deadlines for the degree application and payment of your student account will be posted on the academic calendar on the Registrar’s Office webpage.
  • What if I miss the deadline?

    If you miss the deadline to apply for a degree, you must pay your account balance in full; including the degree audit fee and late fee. Then check with the Registrar’s Office regarding the application process. If your account balance is not paid, you can be pulled from degree audit due to unpaid fees.
  • How do I apply for a degree online?

    Go to the MSU home page, click on OnCampus (Intranet), log in, click on the Banner tab, then click on Apply for a Degree under the Academic Records section. At this same page, you should have to option to check your degree application status. When your application has been submitted, your degree application will be “applied”. It will continue to say “applied” until after the ceremony and you receive final degree clearance. When you have been fully cleared your status will change from applied to awarded.
  • Why will the system not allow me to apply for my degree online?

    You may not be allowed to apply online if you have an outstanding balance on your account. Also, your current student account record determines the degree for which you can apply.
  • Can I cancel my application and will my money be refunded?

    You can cancel your application at any time before graduation, but to receive a refund of your degree audit fee, you must cancel before the first posted deadline to apply for your degree as stated on the academic calendar.
  • If I cancel my application, will it be carried over to the next term?

    No, the degree application and the degree audit fee are only good for one term. If you cancel your application, you will have to reapply for the degree in the next term or whenever you are ready to graduate. This is our way of knowing when you are ready to graduate and we can begin the degree audit process.

Degrees and Diplomas

  • When will my degree be awarded?

    Final grades are due in our office on Tuesday after graduation. Once grades have been entered, the college academic coordinators meet with the Registrar’s office staff to clear each student. At this time, the degree audit staff will begin to award degrees. Within a couple of weeks, undergraduates should be able to check the degree application status and see that it has been changed to “awarded”. Graduate students may take longer to clear.
  • What if my degree is not awarded?

    Check with your department for information on why the coordinator did not clear you for the degree. If your degree is not awarded, you will have to reapply for your degree the next available term.
  • When will my diploma be mailed?

    After all undergraduate and graduate degrees are awarded; we will print and mail diplomas. This process of clearing students and printing diplomas usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
  • Where will my diploma be mailed?

    The diploma will be mailed to the address designated in your application. It will be mailed “First Class” and will be packaged in a mailer clearly marked “DIPLOMA-DO NOT BEND".

Graduation Ceremony Information

  • When and where do I pick up my regalia (cap and gown)?

    The Barnes and Noble Bookstore is responsible for regalia rental. About three weeks before graduation, the Registrar’s Office will publish commencement instructions on It will also include information about when and where to line up at the coliseum and information regarding the purchase of a DVD of the ceremony, sold by the MSU Television Center.
  • Can I purchase my regalia?

    The regalia rented by the Barnes and Noble Bookstore must be returned. If you are interested in purchasing regalia or accessories, please contact Hendrick Graduate Supply House.


  • Can I print a Transcript request form from the Web?

    Yes. The transcript request form is located at the following link: Transcript Requests
  • What information does the Registrar's Office need to process a transcript request?

    If you cannot access the request form online, you can fax or mail the Registrar's Office this information: MSU ID Number, Full Name, Date of Birth, Date of Last Attendance at MSU, Daytime Phone Number, Current Mailing Address, Address where transcript should be mailed, and credit card information for payment. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH. Be sure to sign Your Request (VERY IMPORTANT)
  • Can I request a transcript by telephone or e-mail?

    No, we must have your signature.
  • What is the fee for having a transcript mailed?

    All official transcripts are $7 per copy.
  • Can I have a transcript faxed?

    Yes, but a faxed transcript is NOT an official transcript and there is a $15 fee for faxing an unofficial transcript.
  • Can an official transcript be faxed?

    No. Transcripts sent via fax and the type of paper used for copying makes these transcripts unofficial. Official transcripts are printed on special tamper proof and copy proof paper. The fee for an unofficial faxed transcript is $15.
  • Is the first copy of my transcript free?

    No. All official transcripts are $7 per copy, however, your Dean provides you with a coupon for a free transcript. The coupon is mailed to you with your diploma.
  • If I buy transcripts in bulk, will I get a discount?

  • Can my transcript be sent electronically?

    Yes. Transcripts can be forwarded electronically between participating universities.
  • Can my parents or friends request or pick up my transcript?

    No, not unless you provide them with a written, signed letter giving them permission to pick up your transcript.
  • Are rank information and ACT scores automatically posted to my transcript?

    No, you must request this information at the time you request your transcript.
  • Have you ever had problems with credit card fraud or misuse of credit card information when ordering transcripts?

    No. Our credit card machine is in a secured location, away from public view or accessibility.
  • Do you still have records from the early 1900's?

  • Can MSU provide a student with a copy of a transcript from another institution?

    No. You will need to contact that institution for an official transcript.
  • Can MSU provide a student with their transfer credit information?

    The only transfer information on the official MSU transcript is the semesters attended and the total transfer hours.
  • What modes of payment are accepted for processing transcripts?

    Checks, credit cards, and money orders. Effective December 1, 2008, cash is no longer accepted.
Top Of Page