Main Campus Commencement Information
(Educational Specialists, Masters, & Bachelors)
The main campus commencement ceremonies are held in Starkville, MS. Graduates must arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to their ceremony start time. Please arrive already dressed in your regalia when you check-in.
Please read through these important notes about the ceremonies:
- Security screening will take place upon entry and all bags are subject to search.
- Please DO NOT bring personal items. There will not be any storage areas available and anything left in seats will be thrown away.
- Guest seating will be general admission and first-come, first-served.
- Graduates will be seated after check-in and an entrance processional will not be included in the ceremonies. However, graduates will still walk across the stage as they are announced and congratulated.
- Graduates will receive a diploma cover as they cross the stage.
- Once graduates are recognized by walking across the stage, they will not return to their seats. Instead, they will be guided to the photography area to take a professional photo before exiting.
- Guests are expected to begin leaving once their graduate exits the stage. Please do this quietly with respect to other graduates and guests.
- Re-entry will not be permitted.
- Please plan to remove all vehicles from the parking areas promptly following the morning ceremony to make space for guests attending the afternoon ceremony.
- Any guests who are unable to attend may view a livestream of the ceremonies online (links can be found below).
- All cords, stoles, pins, etc. that are worn with graduation regalia come from the individual organizations that the graduates may be involved with. Graduates can reach out to the MSU-affiliated groups that they are part of to see if they offer any graduation adornments. These items must be approved in order to distribute them to graduates.
COMMENCEMENT PARKING MAP
Please check back later for an upated commencement parking map.
Please check back later for an updated venue diagram.
Guest Accommodations: Reserved parking will be available for any guests with an ADA tag on their vehicle (parking map above). Carts will be running through these reserved lots to assist guests from their vehicles to the entry areas. Once inside, there will be reserved sections on the main level for any guests needing to avoid the stairs. These areas are wheelchair accessible and can be found on the diagram above. Staff will be available throughout the venue to assist guests as needed.
There is no need to make reservations, but we do recommend arriving close to when the doors open to ensure you may sit in your preferred section. Please remember that guest seating is first-come, first-served, but we should have plenty of room for everyone in attendance.
Service and Assistance Animals: MSU will fully comply with applicable laws governing service and assistance animals. It is important to understand the distinction between the two types of animals. Service animals are trained to perform a specific action to help a person with a disability. A service animal must be a dog or, under certain circumstances, a miniature horse and is permitted to accompany their handler in any area where the handler is permitted to be. Assistance animals, including Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) are not trained to perform disability-related tasks, but instead provide comfort or other assistance solely by their presence. Assistance animals are generally not permitted inside university buildings other than on-campus residences.
Additional information relating to service and assistance animals can be found HERE.
**GRADUATES MUST APPLY FOR THEIR DEGREE THROUGH BANNER IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEIR DIPLOMA. THE DEADLINE TO APPLY CAN BE FOUND ON OUR UNIVERSITY ACADEMIC CALENDAR. (Diplomas are mailed 4-6 weeks after the ceremonies)**
(Please note that all plans are subject to change.)
Regalia Orders (Cap & Gown)
If you are planning to participate in the spring 2023 commencement ceremonies, please be sure to order your cap & gown! The first opportunity to purchase will be March 23-24, 2023 at the Grad Fair in Barnes & Noble (details to come). You can pay for and pickup your regalia the same day during the Grad Fair. If you are unable to attend the fair, you can still order online starting March 25, 2023 and your regalia will be ready for pickup the week of the ceremonies.There is also a ship-to-home option for an additional charge. Additional regalia information can be found here: www.gradsupply.com/msu
- All Bachelor, Master, and Specialist graduates may keep their entire regalia package.
- Doctoral graduates may only keep their cap & tassel. Please return your rental gown and hood to Barnes & Noble at MSU following your ceremony. If you are interested in purchasing your gown and/or hood, you will be given the option when you check-in your items at the bookstore.
View our new, custom regalia here: MSU Custom Regalia
MSU faculty members may order commencement regalia using this link: www.gradsupply.com/msu-faculty
MSU is proud to offer custom regalia to our graduates. All regalia must be purchased through the Graduate Supply House website, or through Barnes & Noble at MSU.
Graduates can now re-live their ceremony and the moment they crossed the stage with GradCaps! These free clips are personalized for each graduate who attended the ceremonies and can be downloaded and shared online! To access your custom GradCap, click the link below and search for your clip using your last name.
Professional photography, Pro Pics, will be available at the Grad Fair and commencement ceremonies to take portraits of graduates. Photos of the graduates on-stage with the President, as well as individual portraits, will be available for purchase from Pro Pics following the ceremonies. There is no cost to have your photo taken and no obligation to purchase.
The MSU Alumni Association has also worked with Pro Pics to offer professional photography at the Bully Statue in The Junction during the Grad Fair and on the day of the ceremonies on our main campus. Check out an example photoshoot below! There is no need to make an appointment and walk-ups are welcome. Additional information regarding commencement photography will be emailed to graduates and updated online here.
Virtual Backgrounds: Did you miss out on taking graduation photos? You can use the following link to virtually place yourself on campus by uploading a photo and choosing from a selection of MSU backgrounds! There is no cost for this service and photos can easily be saved and shared. Just be sure to tag them on social media with #MSSTATEGRAD
Questions about these photo opportunities can be emailed to: email@example.com
Livestreams of Ceremonies
If you wish to watch the Starkville Campus Commencement Ceremonies but are unable to attend, you can still watch the live ceremonies online! The following links may be used to access the livestream that will broadcast the live ceremonies:
The livestream will also be available on the official Mississippi State University Facebook page (@msstate).
- Fall 2022
- Spring 2022
- Fall 2021
- Spring 2021
- Fall 2020
- Spring 2020 Stephen D. Lee Recognition
- Spring 2020 Virtual Ceremony
- Fall 2019
- Spring 2019
- Fall 2018
- Spring 2018
- Fall 2017
- Spring 2017
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2016
Starkville Campus Commencement Ceremonies
Mississippi State University holds multiple main campus commencement ceremonies at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Students who graduate at the end of the summer semester are invited to attend the December ceremony.
**NOTE: Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for graduation application deadlines and ceremony dates.
Students who plan to graduate in May, August, or December must apply for graduation by the dates published in the MSU Academic Calendar. If a student fails to graduate in the term for which they have applied, they must reapply during the term in which all degree requirements are met. Degree applicants must also pay their MSU account balances in full, prior to the graduation ceremony.
Friday, May 12, 2023 (Details TBD Soon)
Doctoral Graduation and Hooding Ceremony (Ph.D. & Ed.D.)
Information regarding the spring 2023 Doctoral Graduation and Hooding Ceremony will be shared soon. This event is invitation-only, and is exclusive to Ph.D. and Ed.D. graduates and their guests. Please contact The Graduate School for information regarding this ceremony at (662) 325-7400.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Commencement Ceremony
The Spring 2023 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Commencement will be on Wednesday, May 10, 2023. An awards ceremony will take place prior to the commencement. Please contact the Vet School for information regarding the DVM Ceremony at (662) 325-1078.
Meridian Campus Commencement Ceremonies
The Mississippi State University Meridian Campus (MSU-Meridian) commencement ceremonies are held at the MSU Riley Center in Meridian, MS. The ceremony times are as follows:
Spring 2023: (Ceremony Details TBD Soon)
For additional questions regarding the MSU-Meridian Commencement Ceremonies, please contact Skye Hamilton: firstname.lastname@example.org
Degrees are awarded after the appropriate representatives from the colleges and schools have reviewed the student records and notified the Office of the Registrar that students are cleared to graduate.
University Degree Audit (CAPP)
All MSU students have access to the degree audit system CAPP (curriculum, advising, and program planning) in myState.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONIES, CONTACT:
Office of the Registrar
Mississippi State University
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT GRADUATION & DEGREE AUDIT, CONTACT:
Office of the University Registrar
P.O. Box 5268
Mississippi State, MS 39762-5268
(662) 325-4123 or (662) 325-9407
Office Hours: M-F 8:00-5:00